Nenescape survey shows migrant and British anglers need better education, integration and enforcement
Findings from a major angling survey carried out in East Anglia indicate a strong need for improved education, integration and enforcement of migrant and British anglers.
The Nenescape Angling Survey, commissioned by the Angling Trust from Substance, was completed by 1,200 anglers and designed to help develop proposals for an Heritage Lottery Fund project (Nenescape) to improve integration of different communities through angling.
Key points from the survey included:
- 50% of those responding thought anglers from elsewhere in Europe had little or no understanding of angling regulations;
- 75% thought anglers from elsewhere in Europe disobeyed angling regulations;
- 41% had little or no understanding of Riparian rights;
- 77% believe that anglers from elsewhere in Europe anglers should be encouraged to join angling clubs;
- 70% believe we need to provide more information for anglers from elsewhere in Europe in their own language;
- 58% would support angling competitions involving anglers from elsewhere in Europe and from the UK;
- 64% thought the best way to integrate anglers from elsewhere in Europe is through tough enforcement action.
In addition to providing information for the ‘Nenescape’ project in the Nene Valley, the research also supported the wider development of the Building Bridges work carried out by the Angling Trust.
The Nene Valley is an area rich with fishing opportunities and it has also seen high levels of migration, particularly from continental Europe. In angling, this has led to some complaints by anglers and clubs about the (actual or perceived) behaviour of others and there appears to be a lack of integration of anglers from different backgrounds.
Read the full survey report
Contact: Angling Trust Eastwood House, 6 Rainbow Street, Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 8DQ
Tel: 0343 5077006 (For Membership enquiries select Option 1) |
Calls to our 0343 number are charged at the same rate as normal landline numbers.
Office hours are Mon - Thu 9.00-5.00 and Fri 4.30. Please leave a message if you call outside these hours or email us.
Angling Trust Limited is a company limited by guarantee, company number 05320350