Young Angler Exemption
The Angling Trust is delighted to be able to offer junior anglers aged between 13 and 16 years old the opportunity to fish in our national competitions as part of their ongoing development.
The Young Angler Exemption scheme applies to the following competitions in 2024:
- Division 1 National (Saturday August 17, 2024)
- Division 2 National (Saturday September 7, 2024)
- Feeder National (Saturday August 24, 2024)
- Individual National (Saturday August 3, 2024)
- Women’s National (Saturday July 6, 2024)
- Anglers with Disabilities National (Saturday July 6, 2024)
- Team Commercial National (Saturday April 20, 2024)
- Zerofit SilverFish (starts October 2024)
- Winter League (starts October 2024)
If you’re aged between 13 and 16 on the date of the the competition please see the details below on how you can apply.
Application reasoning and process
Currently, anglers must be over 16 to fish our events – excluding the Junior and Youth Nationals.
However, we are keen to support the development of young anglers and often their involvement in senior domestic Nationals can be hugely beneficial to their progress in match angling.
Therefore, we have decided to make exceptions on an individual basis for anglers below 16 years of age.
These exemptions will be issued by the Angling Trust Competitions Team following consultation and will apply to anglers who fulfil the one or all of the following criteria:
1. The angler is currently supported by our Team England Talent Pathway scheme
2. The angler is currently supported by an Angling Trust Level 2 coach or recognised coaches from our member clubs who believe that fishing the event will be beneficial to their development.
All anglers under 16 who are competing in our events must be supervised by a parent or named guardian at all times, including before and after the match.
How to apply for exemption
Applications for exemption must be made by completing this form and returning via email to Steve Fitzpatrick, Head of Competitions, at [email protected] a minimum of two weeks prior to the start of the event or series the angler wishes to fish.
If the application is successful, an email confirming exemption will be issued to the angler’s parent or guardian within five working days of the application being received by the Angling Trust.
The exemption will expire 12 months from the email issue date and exemption will need to be applied for again if required.
Junior and Youth anglers under 16 may enter the pools on any of our National Championships, but any winnings will be paid directly to their parent or guardian if consent is given.