Licensed Coach Scheme
If you’re planning to take a coaching qualification with Angling Trust, you’re already on the pathway to licensing (although you can opt out if you wish). Once you’re qualified we’ll assist you to become a Licensed Coach, and you won’t incur the usual annual £35 licence fee until your first licence expires at the end of 12 months.
If you took your 1st4sport qualification through a different organisation such as Angling Cymru or Sparsholt College you can apply to become a Licensed Coach, but the process is a little different and the annual fee applies from the first issue. Don’t worry if you qualified some time ago: you may need to update items such as DBS checking, First Aid or Safeguarding training, but your 1st4sport qualification (like A-Levels, NVQs etc) doesn’t expire.
Administration for the Coaching Centre and Licensed Coach Scheme is based at the East Midlands office in Ilkeston.
Licensed Coach Scheme Administration: [email protected] or 0115 822 4538
· A 1st4sport Level 1 Award or Certificate in Coaching Angling
· An Enhanced DBS check which meets the criteria for All Age Groups coach licensing (please note that not all DBS checks will be appropriate: click here for further details)
· A 1st4sport Level Certificate in Coaching Angling
· An Enhanced DBS check which meets the criteria for All Age Groups coach licensing (not all DBS checks will be appropriate: click here for further details)
· A certificate for UK Coaching training in Safeguarding & Protecting Children, issued no more than 2 years previously
· A certificate for suitable First Aid training with at least 12 months left before its expiry date
If you’ve previously been issued with/already hold an Angling Trust Level 1 or Level 2 coach licence (either due or overdue for renewal) we’ll need to check what requires bringing up to date and advise how to get that licence reinstated.
A coach licence is like a warrant to the public and those seeking the services of an angling coach that you have met the standards set by the National Governing Body for your sport. If you coach with more than one club, angling project, school, local authority or other kind of organisation, you shouldn’t need to provide each one with evidence of your qualification, insurance, DBS check etc, since all that is arranged and regulated through the Licensed Coach Scheme.
Whether you hold a Level 1 or Level 2 licence, coach for pay or as a volunteer, work with all age groups or only with adults, the licence also provides the following:
- Insurance for your coaching activities (Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover up to £10 million)
- Individual membership of Angling Trust with any associated benefits
We’ll supply a photographic ID card with holder and lanyard, and information that may be useful to you about professional development and coaching resources. You can also order personalised coach clothing such as polo shirts, T-shirts and soft-shell jackets.
We’ll be supplying you with what you need, but the licensing application part (DBS checking etc) starts when we have requested your qualification certificate from 1st4sport. However you can click here for an overview of what’s involved.
You’ll need to contact Licensing Admin so that we can check whether we still have any records for you (they may have been deleted to comply with Data Protection requirements). Click here for details of what’s required and how to get in touch.
If your course was delivered by Angling Trust we may be able to access some records for you, but wherever you took your qualification, please get in touch so that we can advise what you’ll need to supply. Click here for details of the requirements and how to contact Licensing Admin.
Click here to go to “Renewing my licence”