Social media is embedded in the lives of many young people and while positive most of the time, it does have the possibility of causing harm. Here is some advice on how to stay safe online.
- Don’t give out all of your personal details unless your parents approve.
- Don’t give out your passwords to anyone, including your friends.
- Always check your privacy settings. Make sure they are up to date by getting your friends to check how much information they can see on your social media profiles.
- Don’t say things online that you wouldn’t say to someone in person. Be respectful of yourself and others.
- Always tell a parent or trusted adult if you see something online that upsets or worries you.
- Don’t respond if you get a message that makes you uncomfortable. Show an adult the message and save it if possible.
- Don’t arrange to meet someone if you have never met them in real life. People are not always who they say they are online. Always tell your parents if/when you do intend to meet anyone.